Blog

68 Comments

1. Good for children ByVicki Goodwinon June 8, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition Great little book for kids that teaches not to bully and that bullying others is wrong. It is a colorful book with a great message. I am enjoying the series. Having a bear share their problems and teach them how to handle themselves in tough situations is a great message.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:27 pm
  2. Difficult topic ByLouon May 29, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition This book deal with a difficult topic. The story line was positive and the characters were endearing. However, there were a number of errors in grammar and spelling, which is relatively minor. Also, the story was a bit unbelievable. Bullying is not that easy to take care of, and I doubt the bully would have been so gracious, at least to start. Also, if told from the point of view of the main character, it would possibly create more empathy, rather than an omniscient narrator. Lastly, some of the language would be a bit above the age group this is geared toward. I liked the story and the characters, just wish they had been fleshed out a bit more.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:28 pm
  3. Good morals. ByKarion February 26, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition I did enjoy reading this book, however, I do not like the fact that the child in this story did not tell his parents about the bullying first. It was a good story and encourages children to tell the principle about bullying which is good. The child also did not want the other child that was bullying to get into trouble. This shows that other children can get along even if they do not like each other in the beginning. I was given this book to review for free.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:30 pm
  4. Well illustrated picture book ByLiz M Dunbaron February 22, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition I received this book as a gift in exchange for an honest review. The story is about Thomas,a boy being bullied at school. With the help of his bear friend, Sami, Thomas finds a solution to the problem. This is a charming story with good illustrations and a hopeful message. I think the vocabulary is a little advanced for younger children, and some editing is needed.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:31 pm
  5. I read it with my son and it was a fun story on an important topic Bysunmtngirlon February 19, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition -I received this book to review. I read it with my son and it was a fun story on an important topic. I let my son read it to me and he seemed to get a lot out of it. I made sure to reinforce it by using the examples from the book to relate to real life. :)
    August 13, 2017 at 2:31 pm
  6. ByK. L.on February 18, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition This is my second Sami the magic bear book. This is turning into a nice series! I like the different topics being addressed. The first book I read was about cancer in children and being hospitalized. This one also touches on a topic that's important for children today, the topic of bullying. Bullying is difficult and happens more than we realize. This is a great book to read along with your child. I have a grandson who is on the younger side at five years old. He's more interested in pictures at this age but does listen to a synopsis of a storyline and likes to engage answering questions and thinking about the topic. The illustrations are very colorful and catch your eye. They are consistent throughout the book. The writing style flows well and is easy to understand for a young reader or child who is being read to. Thomas is the main character who is being bullied. The scenario is realistic. He is prompted by Sami the bear, a birthday gift, to talk with the principal about the bullying. I like how the author addressed the answer to the bullying situation. This book is very creative and positive in it's approach to bullying..
    August 13, 2017 at 2:32 pm
  7. An excellent message ByFlorida KayakerHALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon February 10, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition Thomas turns 9 on his birthday but is afraid to let the other kids at school know it is his birthday. He is afraid that will give some of them another reason to bully him. He is embarrassed by the bullying and so does not speak about it. Thomas receives a bear named Sami for his birthday that evening. He doesn't know it yet but Sami will change his life. This book is entertaining, discusses real issues and has an excellent message. The illustrations are fun and appropriate for the story. I did notice just a few editing issues in the book but overall it reads well.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:32 pm
  8. Good story with positive message ByJo-Anne B.on January 29, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition This book tells children how to deal with being bullied. Tell an adult. Most children think they shouldn't do that because it's tattling but when Thomas follows Sami the magic bear's suggestion and goes to his principal with his problem, it's quickly corrected. Kids have to learn that they don't have to handle everything on their own. Sometimes they do have to tell someone else so they can get help solving their problems. For the most part, this book is easy to read for 8-10-year-olds and the illustrations help reinforce the story. It also lets adults know what to look for in a child that may be bullied. Things like if the child is shy and alone a lot with no friends. I did think that it was a little unrealistic that Thomas and Victor (the bully) became best friends in this story. I don't think children should be encouraged to think that would happen to them but if the kids can be nice to each other after the bullying stops, that would be a good outcome. Other than that, this is another wonderful Sami book giving a good message to children. Please note I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:33 pm
  9. Great Book!! BySpiritJourneyon January 28, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition Great Book! Bullying is real and this book is on point. Tell an adult if you feel you are being bullied. Bullying begins at very young ages - if you have a young child at home, this book is perfect. And, by the way, bullying is not confined to school children - adults are bullied at work everyday. This is a very timely topic. Teach children now.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:34 pm
  10. Sami to the rescue ByGimp my rideon January 25, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition I am a semi homeschooling mom. My son is on the autism spectrum so he goes to school half a day for therapy and I supplement his education at home. I am constantly looking for books that can be used as social stories (a way to explain a social situation in the form of a story to someone who has problems with social interaction). I love that it teaches important skills on dealing with bullies, but it is also entertaining enough to hold his attention. I also like that it went further than simply saying "tell an adult ". I think it was great that explained the motivation for the bully. Instead of making him a villan, it showed that the bully used a really bad way to deal with his emotions, but with some help he could become a friend instead of an enemy. Sami played a small role in this book, but we are excited to read his next adventure. I would recommend as a therapeutic tool or just as a fun story.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:34 pm
  11. My 5 year old loved it ByJaneySilvaon June 3, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition My son said his favorite part was the friendship. He is usually afraid of doctors and hospitals, but he said now he is not.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:35 pm
  12. Illnesses happen to kids, too. ByLouon May 29, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition This book tore a little at the heartstrings. Good solid story and good topic to share with young ones. However, the book did not seem to get at the heart of the character. A few specifics would have added greatly. Like how she felt at losing her hair. What kind of tests,(blood tests, etc.). The author needn't have gone into everything but a few specifics here and there make the story more personal. Also, keeping the story in the main character's point of view would have been helpful in creating more empathy with the reader. I liked the card, wish at least one of the "happy thoughts" would have been "read" to us, the readers. But, in all, it was an interesting read and a topic that needs to be addressed more often.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:35 pm
  13. Cute ByDanielle Montgomeryon March 13, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition This is a cute book for any kid but would be nice for a child fighting an illness. The pictures are cute and very colorful and the story is involved but short enough to keep young children interested. This is a nice book and I would recommend this to other parents! I received a free copy of this book for review purposes. The opinions are my own and honest.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:36 pm
  14. Good story for those that are going through tough sickness ByKarion February 26, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition This book was really sad, but it showed the true side of sickness. I do think it was a little graphic because the little girl had given up on life and just wanted to die, but yet again the true side. I do like the positive side of having the magic bear around to help her through the tough time. I would recommend if a child is going through a tough sickness. The grammar was a little off in a few places, but over all a good story. I was given this book for free to review.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:36 pm
  15. Sweet story ByVicki Goodwinon February 23, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition A girl named Laurie finds herself fighting a dreaded illness. While alone and afraid she receives as a valuable gift. Cute story. Needed more details of what the magical bear could do. The seven-year-old liked SAMI.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:36 pm
  16. warming story ByLiz M Dunbaron February 22, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition 'Laurie, a little girl spends a long time in hospital being treated for leukemia. While in hospital, Laurie misses her friends and the fun she has at school. Then one day her teacher and classmates send her a magical bear called Sami. Sami, with his cheerful and inspiring messages helps Laurie recover her health. Laurie and Sami become best friends and Laurie eventually regains her health and returns to school. This is a perfect book to read aloud to children and the illustrations are charming.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:37 pm
  17. ByK. L.on February 18, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition This book touches on the difficult topic of illness and hospitalization. I remember as a child myself being aware of a fellow student who was in a wheelchair and had lost her hair. No teaching was done 50 years ago in the schools or at home about cancer. The young girl in the story, Laurie has leukemia and ends up in the hospital. Hospitals can be scary places for children. I like how the author uses Sami the magic bear to be her friend during that time. I think the author did not want to get into a lot of detail about hospitals and treatments keeping this topic light yet one that would be interactive while a parent and child read this book together. I personally feel this book would be interesting for a younger child with an adult present to talk about the storyline. I have a five-year-old grandson who doesn't sit still for super long books and is more interested in the pictures. He does like talking about the pictures and what is happening. The idea of a bear as a comforting companion is a good one! I applaud the author for tackling the difficult and often sad situation of cancer in children. This book will definitely help children understand cancer a little bit better, especially if they have a family member, friend or schoolmate who has this illness. The writing is smooth and easy to follow. I also like the illustrations, they are very colorful and eye-catching.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:37 pm
  18. Overall good story, but I wish the presentation was a bit different. ByTatt2edtears06on February 14, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition This book SAMI THE MAGIC BEAR: A Trip to the Hospital! Is an overall cute book. I like the fact that it addresses a child with a very sever sickness (cancer), so it would be a good book for a child with a similar issue, or like me, as a way to talk about these kinds of issues with my child. I like the fact that it doesn't hold back and stick to "kid" words, and this allowed me to improve my 4 year old's vocabulary as I explained what some of the words meant. Some of things I did not like were that some of the pages went on too long so you flipped to the next page with no picture and only a few words on it. I wish they would have spent a bit more time on the illustrations as they are a big part in keeping my child interested in any book. It would have been nice if they had split up the paragraphs more and added more pictures. They did give the parents names and my daughter had a bit of a hard time remembering who was who. I think they should have stuck with the name of the Dr and the main character and just kept the parents "Mom" & "Dad". I think this story is more for a 7 or 8 year old however my 4 year old did really enjoy it. It was a bit long, but short enough to read completely before bedtime. Cute story I just wish the presentation was a bit improved.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:38 pm
  19. A powerful message that turns out well! Bymint teaon February 14, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase In this children’s book, adult things are talked about. Many of us would like if we didn’t have to talk about these things to kids, but the reality is that it has become quite important. In this tale, a young girl, Laurie, has leukemia and has to go to the hospital. Luckily, there is a bear, Sami, that helps her get through the harrowing ordeal and makes her believe in herself once again. He also talks to her and becomes a friend in her loneliest moments. I found the tale absolutely heartbreaking, but also pretty believable, especially throughout the beginning and middle. I recommend reading this with your kids if they know someone that is going through any type of cancer, so they can understand a bit more about what is going on. The overall message is hopeful and positive, which is something that everyone needs most of the time, whether they are going through major problems or not.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:38 pm
  20. (Patience is required with long term illnesses) ByFlorida KayakerHALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon February 14, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition This is the story of Laurie. Laurie is only 7 and has an illness that requires a hospital visit. She has to stay in the hospital for 2 months and becomes very lonely. Her teacher and classmates present her with Sami, the magic bear. Sami encourages Laurie when she is tired and does not want to fight any longer. Sami keeps her company and helps her to be patient while she heals. I like that this book goes through the process of realizing that Laurie is sick and how her parents handle it. It also lets the reader or listener know that sometimes illnesses can take a long time heal and you must be patient. The pages are each accompanied by an appropriate illustration. The book reads well and seems to be well edited. Complimentary copy received from author.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:40 pm
  21. (I did like that it helps explain in simple terms) ByJA Armstrongon February 7, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase The book of: Sami the magic bear tells the story of a teddy bear who helps Laurie (a young 7-year-old girl suffering from leukemia) fight and overcome her illness. The story follows her as she falls ill, her time in the hospital and ultimately her triumph and resumption of normal life afterwards. I was thinking this story would have more pictures honestly. It was also a little too mature for my 4-year-old. She loves all things doctoral and is interested in hospitals and doctors. However, her attention started wandering towards the end of the book. I did like that it helps explain in simple terms, what leukemia is so that a child might understand it. I also liked that this book walked you through the things that might be scary and unfamiliar to a young child like hospitals, everyone in gowns and masks. I think this is a good book, but the subject matter is more suited to older kids.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:40 pm
  22. A Potentially Important Read ByLizzie McComason February 6, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition I found this book to be good and very sad at the same time. Any time you see or hear about a child being diagnosed with leukemia is heartbreaking -- even in a book. I'm very glad that Murielle Bourdon wrote this story because I think it's an important one for kids that have perhaps been diagnosed with leukemia (or another type of cancer or life threatening disease) and feel like giving up. I think a lot of times adults don't realize that even kids reach that "wall" where continuing the fight seems like too much. What is the point? Why not just let go? It hurts so much. Etc., etc., etc. Adults do NOT hold the market for self-doubt, self-pity, overwhelming fear and simply wanting to give up. Kids, too, need to be shown how much they are loved, how much they mean and bring to this world, what they can accomplish if only they can continue the fight and that they are absolutely not meaningless or worthless in this gigantic thing we call life. So, in a way, perhaps this book isn't just good for kids that are going through hell, but it's a good reminder for the adults in their lives to validate these children. Murielle gifted me a copy of this book, but my review is 100% my own UNBIASED opinion.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:40 pm
  23. Great Children's book! Bybjhamon February 4, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition I would highly recommend this book. The pages are very colorful and it held my grandchildren's attention. They wanted more. Easy read and follow along.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:41 pm
  24. It was a cute book. ByMelissa Dawnon January 26, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition The book is really cute and the story id's very informative and touching. My daughter didn't understand a lot of the information given
    August 13, 2017 at 2:41 pm
  25. (A Book That Is Postive and A Must Read! ) Bybradybunchon January 18, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition My daughter and I read this book together. Both my daughter and I enjoyed this book. The book is about a seven year old girl named Laurie. We found Laurie to be one exceptional little girl. She’s a smart girl and full of energy. Then one day she woke up and was not feeling very well and had no energy. Her parent s took her to the doctor, who found she had Leukemia. Laurie needed to be in the hospital in a germ free environment. A book that helps children understand about being sick, having to have tests performed and about a hospital stay. While in the hospital her teacher and classmates sent her a gift. Upon opening the box Laurie found a cuddly Teddy Bear. Laurie slept with her new bear. The next morning Laurie found out just how special the Teddy Bear is. Sami is the Teddy Bear’s name and he spoke to Laurie and told her he was a magic bear. To find out what happens with Laurie and the Sami, you will need to read the book. A book that is very positive. I would recommend this book. My daughter is ten years old and she really liked the book. The book helps children understand about being sick, hospital stays, testing and doctors. The illustrations are nicely done.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:42 pm
  26. (Sammy does it again.) ByMary Williamson January 13, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition As I sat here reading to my grandchild who is also seven he really listened to and enjoyed the story. He too had been sick and in the hospital and really sympathised with her. The story is well told on a child's level . he agrees to 5 stars.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:43 pm
  27. (Excellent book for children going to the hospital) ByPurple GriffonTOP 500 REVIEWERon January 11, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition I am a nurse and know that many people are, if not afraid of going to the hospital, at least nervous. Young children dislike being separated from their parents, and are often faced with things they don't understand. This book seems to be nearly ideal for younger children - and even those up through pre-teen would likely benefit from it. Hospitals are a scary place, and one I avoided when possible when I was young. It details the story of a young girl (7) diagnosed with Leukemia - the treatment for which is long and arduous. Faced with loneliness and being in a scary place, she is eventually given Sami, the Magic Bear, who makes it much easier for her to cope with things. You may not have ever had a stuffed animal that was your friend when growing up - but I suspect most people have. Something so small can make a big difference in ones life - and this book, while small indeed, seems an excellent one. If you have a child that has to go to the hospital, perhaps a grandchild, or even know a friend, I recommend that this book be given to them. They will likely find it very useful, as they will enjoy reading it, maybe having it read to them. (Seems like it would be perfect to be given with a bear)! I was furnished a copy of this book by the author in order to be able to do a review. But the fact is I liked it and think it useful -
    August 13, 2017 at 2:43 pm
  28. (Must read book for sick children.) BySharon Colemanon January 6, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition This is a must read book for sick children or those who must be hospitalized. It takes the scary out of the hospital but lets children know that they are not alone in fighting to get well.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:44 pm
  29. Nice concept ByBrittanyon January 4, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition I read this story to my four year old daughter. When I finished she said she really liked it. I thought it was worded a little awkward at times and could have been a little shorter but the story was very nice. It was a nice way to teach a child about illnesses and how to stay strong when faced with a challenge.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:44 pm
  30. Wonderful Book To Help Deal With A Bully Bybradybunchon January 22, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition I like the books by this Author. A book that you and your child can read together. The age on this book is 5-10 years old. I read this with my daughter who is 10. In my opinion this book is geared for a younger child, but still worth reading with your child. In this book you will follow the story of how Thomas is on the receiving end of a bully. He will have help from Sami the magically bear, a gift rom his grandparents. Thomas will show you how to come up with a solution that will benefit him and the boy who is bullying him Victor. I recommend you read this with your child. With all the bullying going on in the world, a book that is much needed to read with your child. The illustrations in the book are nicely done. The author is wonderful and so is the story line.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:45 pm
  31. Great book on bullying ByLisa Briskeyon January 19, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition This is a fantastic book on bullying and how to handle it. Most everyone gets bullied at some point in their life and how you handle it is important. Sami is a magic bear that comes to life when someone needs help. In this book, Thomas is bullied by Victor. He gets Sami, the magic bear for his birthday present from his grandparents. He tells Sami, what it going on and they come up with a plan. Thomas reports the bullying to the principle. Victor teaches Thomas how to play basketball and Thomas will help him with French and Math. Soon they are best friends. Great book.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:45 pm
  32. Important topic ByMonica K Loweon January 19, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition This is a great book with a great message. All too often school aged children and even adults have been bullied. This book really dives into how harsh children can be but also ways children may want to talk about the issue. Sami is a loveable bear and I feel he really helps to show ways to overcome bullying in a positive manor with out leading to violence. I read this book to my daughter who doesn't not really understand bullying quite yet, but it also taught me a life long lesson, to be kind no matter what because you never know the persons situation. This is a book for all ages!
    August 13, 2017 at 2:45 pm
  33. Multiple Positive Lessons for Children in an Entertaining Form ByA. ReaderTOP 100 REVIEWERon January 18, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition Full Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author. The story centers on an issue that has been around since the beginning of time. Thomas is a nine-year-old who is being bullied by classmates. Sami is a magic toy bear that comes alive and suggests to Thomas how he can solve his problem. While Thomas is reluctant, he decides to put the advice from Sami to the test. The rest of the book relates how Thomas addressed the bullying and the results of his efforts. The story is good for children because it is important for them to understand that there are solutions if you are being bullied, and the book demonstrates the positive results that can happen if you face a problem like this head-on. The author allows Thomas to experience anxiety as he worries if Sami’s solution is the best option. Once again, children safely learn that it is okay to stand up for yourself, and that much good can come of your actions. These are skills that will benefit all children as they navigate the road that leads to adulthood. Is the ending a happily-ever-after type conclusion? Yes, but this is a children’s book, and thus makes total sense. The pictures fit the action, and were extremely colorful. This is also a good book for younger children to read to themselves, although I would recommend the first few times this book is read with an adult as there are bound to be questions and reactions. On a non-story note, I am usually sensitive to the font as we have an eight-year-old dealing with dyslexia. Fonts like Calibri and Arial have a nice clean look while the “curlies” in fonts like Times New Roman can present difficulties (the book is in the latter font, or a close relative). We have not yet had a chance to read this book, but I will repost and add his reactions. Overall, the messages this book shares are important, and makes this a worthwhile book to have. Four stars.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:46 pm
  34. A Good Message & Cute Book ByLizzie McComason January 14, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition While I think that this book carries a very, very important message in it (TELL AN ADULT IF YOU'RE BEING BULLIED!!!), I also feel that the end result was pretty unrealistic in most cases. Typically, a bully isn't going to suddenly befriend his victim because he was forced to tutor him in something and be tutored by him in something else. That would certainly be ideal, but like I said, it isn't realistic. I wish that more time would have been spent on explaining WHY telling an adult is so very important in these cases. THAT'S something kids really need to know. It isn't something that we can just assume they understand because if they DID understand it, then victims wouldn't lie and try to cover-up what's been going up. So, with that being said, perhaps Sami the Magic Bear can visit another bully victim and REALLY explain why the child needs to bring it all to light...and to his PARENTS, too - not just the principal!! Oh, and here's another thought for a follow-up book. Maybe Sami the Magic Bear can explain to adults how they should react if their students or children are being bullied or ARE the bullies. That could be some REALLY helpful reading material, too! :)
    August 13, 2017 at 2:46 pm
  35. An Excellent Resource to Address Bullying ByR. Seneyon January 11, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition Bullying is much too prevalent, even among younger children. Sami provides an excellent resource especially from the bullied child's perspective. Will be sharing.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:47 pm
  36. 5. 0 out of 5 starsGreat book for parents ... ByLorene Hamiltonon January 11, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition 5.0 out of 5 starsGreat book for parents and teachers to use in discussions about bullying! ByLorene Hamiltonon January 10, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition As a teacher of young children I felt, as I read this book, that it would be an ideal story to read to kids when introducing a discussion about bullying. I think that many children would identify with Thomas. I found his solution to his problem so positive. It pointed out the fact that bullies are people too, albeit insecure ones! I was given a free copy of this book, and chose to write a review.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:47 pm
  37. Excellent book for children and parents Byjession January 9, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition I received this E-book for free recently and I was pleasantly surprised at how much my daughter and I enjoyed it. It managed to hold my almost 4 year old's attention until the very end. There are quite a few larger words in the text, but to me that is a plus because it gives the opportunity to expand a child's vocabulary. The theme throughout was anti-bullying, which is a major problem in schools today. The book teached children to not stay quiet about being bullied but to be proactive and do something about it. I did find it a little strange that the two boys end up best friends at the end and the conflict is resolved a little too quickly, but it is a children's book. All in all I greatly enjoyed it and I look forward to reading other titles by the same author.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:48 pm
  38. Good book to use to create a conversation about bullying with your school age kids. ByTatt2edtears06on January 8, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition SAMI THE MAGIC BEAR: No To Bullying! is a very good story about bullying. Not only does it teach you that you should not accept bullying and that you should tell someone, it also teaches you compassion. Even a bully could have their own problems. I tried reading this to my 4 year old and she quickly lost interest. I noticed there are far more pictures at the end of the book than there are in the beginning, and I think that is an issue for younger kids. Had it had a picture on every page I think it would have caught my daughter's interest easier. Its not a "short" story, and I think would do best for children 6-10ish, kids who have learned to read but are not yet ready for chapter books. Good book to read to your school age children to teach them that not only is it not okay to be bullied, but also that yo should not be a bully yourself, and can open you and your child up to conversation on the subject.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:48 pm
  39. Delightful story that promotes No to Bullying! ByJjspinaon January 6, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition Sami the Magic Bear is a sweet story about a nine year boy, Thomas, who is shy and insecure. He becomes the target for bullying by a boy in his class. He is too afraid to tell anyone about this. When Thomas' grandparents come to his ninth birthday party with a special present things begin to change for Thomas. This special bear, Sami, is actually a magical best friend bear. Now Thomas has someone whom he can talk to about his problem and help him solve it. A delightful way to help children who are the object of bullying and uncover the problems and how to make a difference in a positive way. The illustrations are colorful and compliment the story. I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:48 pm
  40. great theme and storyline ByHinesy82on January 5, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition I would recommend this book to anyone with children in school or who could be experiencing bullying in a situation like sports or other organized activities. The book is a litrle long when being read to younger children so I would recommend it for children over 6. I rated this book a 5/5 because its a quality book thats applicable to children dealing with bullying. i was lucky to be given this book as a gift and cant wait to comtinue sharing with my kids as they get older and understand more!
    August 13, 2017 at 2:49 pm
  41. Nice tool for teaching about bullies ByBrittanyon January 4, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition This story was a good teaching tool for dealing with a bully. There were some grammatical errors and some information such as a nine year old learning French and a nine year old being captain of a basketball team that I found to be a little awkward but besides these issues I believe my daughter enjoyed the story.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:49 pm
  42. A solution to bullying! ByAubreybon January 4, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition As someone who was bullied as a child I wish this book had been available! Sami comes up with a great solution to an ever growing problem! Bullying can be the beginning to domestic violence and this book shows children of all ages the right way to treat each other. This book should be read to everyone across the globe!! Bullies must be stopped before it gets out of hand and they are delinquents, this book has a great solution that not all have thought of! We could all gain something from reading this as there are adults who would benefit from a time of introspection. I received this book to be reviewed. Showing empathy for a bully and turning a negative into a positive is a big step in the right direction!
    August 13, 2017 at 2:49 pm
  43. Sami the Magic Bear- a Short Educative and Enjoyable Story for Kids BySherylon January 2, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition Sami the Magic Bear is a short, educative and enjoyable story for kids. The pictures are of good quality. The language is easy. The story makes an instant connection. with the children and touches a sensitive subject of bullying.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:49 pm
  44. Must Read for all teachers and parents BySandra K. Stileson January 2, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase Bullying is and always had been a problem. In this book we meet Thomas. He is very smart. For this reason he is picked on by Victor and his friends. On his ninth birthday Victor takes Thomas’s birthday hat and pushes him down. Thomas is so embarrassed that he lies to his parents. He is surprised to see his grandparents have come to celebrate his birthday. After dinner he opens their present and finds a stuffed bear named Sami. Will Sami be able to help Thomas solve his bullying problem? This is a wonderful book on the effects of bullying, why bullying might occur and the proper way to handle it. Highly recommended to all parents and lower elementary teachers.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:50 pm
  45. (Great Chirldren's Book With a Positive Message) ByPurple GriffonTOP 500 REVIEWERon January 1, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition Bullying is a big problem that sadly, does not stop when you get out of school. For those of us with children it is something seen quite often. This book is a short, easy to read book that shows positive ways for the child to deal with it. It could be read to young children (which I recommend doing) as as the child themselves reading it. I would say its an excellent book for parents, grandparents, etc. to add to a child's book collection. I particularly like the message sent, and found the drawings appealing. I was furnished a copy of the book by the author, and am glad that I was contacted, as we all need positive ways to explain to children how not to put up with bullying.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:50 pm
  46. by Murielle Bourdon is such a great way to help teach your child about bullying and ... ByCocoon December 31, 2016 Format: Kindle Edition SAMI THE MAGIC BEAR: No To Bullying! by Murielle Bourdon is such a great way to help teach your child about bullying and how to say NO. I loved reading it to my pre-school class. This is a book that helps to teach your child that bullying is not nice and what your child might do to have it stop. I don't want to give this fantastic story away but believe me you will not go wrong adding this to your child's bookshelf. It is a great addition, a 5 starred, highly recommended book for all.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:51 pm
  47. she was fine with. Some were difficult BySharon Colemanon December 30, 2016 Format: Kindle Edition The message of the book was gentle and meaningful. I had my eight your old read it to me. Most of the words, she was fine with. Some were difficult. She liked the book and was able to explain the story. This might be a good book to read to younger children. I would recommend for a teacher to read this to her class often.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:51 pm
  48. (Life changing book. Classroom gold.) Byglidingwithgodon December 29, 2016 Format: Kindle Edition Sami the Magic Bear contains cute and appropriate illustrations. The beginning has a great description of what a bullied child may present like. (Shy, alone, no friends.) Teachers and parent's alike could benefit from reading this book with children in their care. The book presents the perfect opportunity for an open discussion with children regarding bullying and it's effects. It informs the bully of the harm they could be creating. It offers help for the bullied. My nine year old opened up to me about bullying at school after reading this. She also informed me that school surveys at school are not very effective because they are so exact. She felt like she couldn't share what was going on because school surveys ask if anyone "bigger" than you is teasing or bullying. In her mind, the bully was her size, therefore her concern was not valid. I love that this book offers an appropriate option to address a similar concerns. Sammy the Magic Bear is a new favorite of mine. This book is as great as the book "Have You Filled a Bucket Today?: A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids." It gives children information on how to seek help when bullied and permission to do so. I think that having a real teddy bear like Sami in the classroom where this book is read, could be a regular reminder to kids that their words and actions have real consequences. I know that Sami the Magic bear has the potential of the growth "Elf on the Shelf" has seen. I love that this book shows that a bullied child can have a happy ending to the bullying by seeking help early on.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:51 pm
  49. Best Solution for Bullying! ByCarol Ann Ashley Birtwell/ Children's Authoron December 29, 2016 Format: Kindle Edition This whimsical, powerful, story is well written and beautifully illustrated! It includes some crucially important action for kids who get picked on, to relate to, instead of feeling alone and isolated with their fears. Sami gets a very unique helping companion, as well as very powerful solutions that are a win win for all. Everyone shines with who they really are! This book is a wonderful helping tool! A must for every library in the home!
    August 13, 2017 at 2:52 pm
  50. (Sami The Magic Bear No To Bullying) Bydlk0907on December 27, 2016 Format: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase This was a great book and it should be in every school Library and every child should read it plus the parents should read it too! A very valuable lesson in life! Loved it!
    August 13, 2017 at 2:52 pm
  51. (Great book with a positive message) ByHeidion December 26, 2016 Format: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase "Sami The Magic Bear," is the story of Thomas being bullied by a fellow schoolmate Victor. Thomas eventually works up the courage thanks to Sami the magic bear to discuss how he was bullied to his principal. Thomas is able to help Victor succeed in his French and math class while Victor helps Thomas succeed at basketball. I think this is a great short read for young children. It's unfortunate how bullying has become so aggressive in the past few years because of social media. This is a great read to introduce children on the consequences of bullying and show how opposites can work together to help each other out.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:53 pm
  52. (A wonderful story about a magic bear that gives good advice) ByIsrael DrazinTOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon December 26, 2016 Format: Kindle Edition This is a delightful well-told story with an important message that children will enjoy. The drawings are eye-catching. It is about Thomas who is an ideal very nice intelligent boy, but he is insecure. His classmates make fun of him because he is shy, and this embarrasses him, so much so that he is ashamed to discuss it with his parents. No one in his class knows it is his ninth birthday except for his teacher. While walking home from school, instead of expecting friendly greeting, he expects to be humiliated again. And this is what happens. The bullies call him the “little genius” and “teacher’s pet” and laugh at him. They knock him down and he loses his cap. His grandparents bring him a teddy bear as a birthday present. They tell him that this bear is called Sami and is a special bear. That night, Thomas finds out that Sami is a magic bear. Sami talks to Thomas and gives him an idea how to stop the bullying. Children will be fascinated when they learn the good advice that Sami gives to Thomas, and they will learn how to get along with others.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:53 pm
  53. Very engaging. ByMary Williamson December 24, 2016 Format: Kindle Edition My grandson listened in silence as I read this book! It is written in language that my 7 year old can understand and it gives good advice. Its a great read for any child.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:54 pm
  54. Well-written BySarita Lopezon December 24, 2016 Format: Kindle Edition I was offered this book, in exchange for a fair review. I read this book to my 5 year old little girl, showed her the pictures, asked her questions afterward, and asked if she understood what the book was about. She loved it, and understood what the message was. I wish more books like this were available to children. Well written, colorful, and a positive message. I recommend it for small children.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:54 pm
  55. Good book for parents to read with their children ByRon Macon December 21, 2016 Format: Kindle Edition ~First, I’ll state that I received this book as a gift from the author to read and review. ~I feel that there is a great need for books that a child can read along with their parents. It is my opinion that handing a teaching book to a child and sending them off to read it doesn’t really work. Likewise, reading the story to the child is not nearly as effective as reading a book together. This book says it is aimed at the 5 – 10 year old age group. I think that it is more geared toward the younger end of this age group. (While he is a year over the suggested reading age, this book would not have kept the interest of my eleven year old grandson.) However, having mom or dad participating in the reading of this book to a child on the younger end of the age group would work quite nicely. ~The story is really about the conflict between Thomas and Victor. The main character, Thomas, is nine years old, Victor might be just a little older. The author described some of the bullying that Thomas is on the receiving end of. The description is not over done, graphic, or extremely violent. This gives the young reader an idea of what “bullying” might look like. ~Initially, Thomas is not sure what he can do to stop the bullying, who he should tell, or even if he should tell anyone. Without spoiling the story for you, I will say that Thomas comes up with a very creative solution to the problem. A solution that benefits both himself AND Victor! ~I would definitely recommend this book to any family with young children. It is worth reading together, even if there is not a problem present…it would help to make any child aware of the potential of being bullied. It might just stop a future bully from becoming one. ~I would like to praise the author, Murielle Bourdon, for writing a book…actually a series of books…that are aimed at being helpful to families in dealing with every day struggles.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:54 pm
  56. Excellent book ByE. Carteron December 18, 2016 Format: Kindle Edition This book is perfect for parents and teachers to use to help children understand how to deal with bullying. Children will enjoy the book because they can relate to the situation.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:55 pm
  57. (Good story about bullying) ByShirleeon December 18, 2016 Format: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase This is a good story for older children about being bullied. I would rate 5 stars but I feel alot of the words are too "big" for younger kids to understand. Good characters, good plot, good story.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:55 pm
  58. (Sami the Magic Bear) ByBridgetton December 17, 2016 Format: Kindle Edition Actual Rating: 4.5 stars The author, Murielle Bourdon, reached out to me via email to review a copy of Sami the Magic Bear: No to Bullying. Thomas is a 9 year old child who is very depressed and upset. He is bullied constantly by kids at school. On the day of his birthday, he is pushed down and hurt by another child in school. This child also runs off with Thomas' new baseball cap. Thomas did not want to tell his parents, so he made up a story about losing his hat and falling on the ground and hitting his face. Thomas' grandparents came to Thomas' house for his birthday and gave him Sami. While Thomas was crying later that night, Sami came to life and provided Thomas an idea on how to address this bullying issue. The next day, Thomas provided this idea to the principal. This idea was that the bully and Thomas would work together. Thomas would help tutor in French and math, and the bully, Victor, would coach Thomas to play basketball. The end of the story concluded that Victor was most improved in math and French, while Thomas was asked to join the basketball team. I think this story was cute, however, I am not certain of the full relevancy. I am aware this is a child's book so it took a difficult conversation and tried to give it a positive outcome. I think in some situations, what Thomas suggested be done may work. Working with abused and neglected children for a living, I do not know if this will work as many of the bullying an abused or neglected child may do to others, may stem from the treatment they received when they were abused or neglected. I think, as a way for parents to begin a conversation on not bullying, this book is appropriate.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:56 pm
  59. Great way to ease kids' fears about serious illnesses. ByAubreybon January 4, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition I gave it 4 stars because I feel that it softens the reality of children everyday being sick. The author gives a child a glimpse into that reality and also through the "gift" of Sami she doesn't give up hope to keep on living. Really enjoyed it, I did receive this book for review and have shared it with my kids so that when they see a child who is sick they will have compassion and a better understanding.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:57 pm
  60. (So Positive) BySandra K. Stileson January 2, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase Laurie is a young girl who is very active. She has trouble sitting still in class after she finishes her work. She is captain of her soccer team. One day she doesn’t feel as energetic. She gets so sick she can’t go to school. Her mom takes her to the doctor and they discover she has leukemia, a blood cancer. She ends up in the hospital for a long time. Her class makes her a giant card and a gift. Sami the bear. She is so tired she just wants to give up. Can Sami help her learn to fight? Great message of never giving up. It is a lesson kids need to learn whether they are fighting an illness or fighting to learn something new.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:57 pm
  61. (This is another great Magic Sami book by Murielle Bourdon) ByCocoon January 2, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition SAMI THE MAGIC BEAR: A Trip to the Hospital! is a must read. Sami is back again to help Laurie. Laurie finds out she is ill and must go to the hospital. She is in a germ free environment. Laurie becomes lonely and very depressed. Her class sends her a gift -- Sami. He tells her that he is a magic. What else did Sami tell Laurie? Did Laurie get well? What happened between Laurie and Sami? You've got to read this to your child/grandchild to find out. This is another great Magic Sami book by Murielle Bourdon. I gave it 5 stars but wish I could give it more and I highly recommend it to all. I now wait for the next Magic Sami book.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:57 pm
  62. Good for explaining a hospital visit ByJo-Anne B.on January 2, 2017 Format: Kindle Edition SAMI THE MAGIC BEAR: A Trip to the Hospital! would be a good book for a child to read if they have an upcoming trip to the hospital or they have a friend in the hospital. It tells the story of Laurie who is very active and plays sports. But she gets sick with leukemia and goes to the hospital. After being in the hospital for a couple of months, she is cheered up when she gets a card and stuffed bear from her classmates. After a while Laurie gets very lonely. But when Sami the magical bear comes alive and talks to her she isn't lonely any more. Being sick was hard but she gets better and back to her old self. Having Sami with her through it all made it much easier for her. This book explains leukemia and what it's like going to the doctor, getting tests and being in the hospital. Sami is a cute little magic bear that helps in telling the story in a way children can understand so they wouldn't be afraid if they ever have to go to the hospital. I found the illustrations helped keep my youngster's attention while reading to her. I did receive a copy of this book from Murielle Bourdon but I am reviewing it on my own as I do with everything I read. Not because I was asked to.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:58 pm
  63. Good book for parents to read with their children ByRon Macon December 31, 2016 Format: Kindle Edition ~First, I’ll state that I received this book as a gift from the author to read and review. ~I feel that there is a great need for books that a child can read along with their parents. It is my opinion that handing a teaching book to a child and sending them off to read it doesn’t really work. Likewise, reading the story to the child is not nearly as effective as reading a book together. This book says it is aimed at the 5 – 10 year old age group. I think that it is more geared toward the younger end of this age group. (While he is a year over the suggested reading age, this book would not have kept the interest of my eleven year old grandson.) However, having mom or dad participating in the reading of this book to a child on the younger end of the age group would work quite nicely. ~Seven year old Laurie gets sick. This book briefly introduces us to Laurie, her school, friends, sports activities, and her parents. Just enough for the reader to get the idea, that she is a normal little girl. ~Then Laurie gets sick and needs to spend some time in the hospital. This can be scary and uncomfortable for anyone, child or adult. The book does not go into great depth about Laurie’s stay in the hospital, which is good for the younger reader. (Parents reading this may want to expand some select details of what their child might experience.) Even though she her parents visit, she feels alone…enter Sami! Sami has words of encouragement and helps her to deal with her hospital stay. ~This book, the entire series, is very positive, and upbeat…without too much emphasis on the “magic” of Sami. Sami’s magical ability is that he is there to listen and reassure the child. ~I would definitely recommend this book to any family with young children. It is worth reading together. ~I would like to praise the author, Murielle Bourdon, for writing a book…actually a series of books…that are aimed at being helpful to families in dealing with every day struggles.
    August 13, 2017 at 2:58 pm
  64. (A wonderful well-told story with an important lesson) ByIsrael DrazinTOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon December 30, 2016 Format: Kindle Edition This is another of the three delightful and inspiring books by Murielle Bourdon about Sami who is a cute, friendly, and helpful bear. Children will love this story and learn to be strong by reading or hearing it told. The story is about seven-year-old Laurie who is an exceptional girl. She loves soccer and is the captain of her school's team. She is very intelligent. She finishes her class’s tests before every other student. She is very energetic and her teacher needs to find something for her to do, usually drawing, so that she will not walk around the room. But then everything changed. One morning, when she awakened, she was sick, very tired, no energy. Her parents took her to a doctor who found that she had leukemia. She was hospitalized and had to be placed in a germ-free environment. When her parents visited her and when the doctors and nurses came, they were gowned up and wore masks. She could hardly recognize them. Many weeks went by. She became very depressed. One day, her nurse brought her a gift from her class. There was a big note signed by her entire class and her teacher wishing her well. And there was a teddy bear in a box, the cutest bear she had ever seen. She hugged it, and spoke to it, and slept with it. In the morning the bear spoke to her. He said he was a magic bear and his name was Sami. Children will be thrilled to hear the rest of the story. What did Sami suggest to her? Did she do what Sami suggested? Did she get well? Was she able to return to the soccer game? Was she still the captain? Did she continue to finish tests before everyone else in her class? What happened later between Laurie and Sami?
    August 13, 2017 at 2:59 pm
  65. (What an impressive and encouraging story for kids, especially ones like this little princess!) ByAngelaon December 29, 2016 Format: Kindle Edition I enjoyed this ebook very,very much. Fot such a book as this of how and what Sami the Magic Bear was able to confort,encourage and support this very I'll little girl. So I wish to recommend this for five stars and especially for any kids but especially those 5 years and up. I received this ebook as a free gift from the author and now in return, here is my honest review. Super job Murielle! By Angela
    August 13, 2017 at 2:59 pm
  66. (Cute story) ByBridgetton December 17, 2016 Format: Kindle Edition Leukemia is any parents' worst nightmare for their children. In Sami and the Magic Bear- A Trip to the Hospital, Laurie becomes sick and is diagnosed with leukemia. Laurie was very active prior to this diagnosis, and becoming sick makes her feel lonely and very tired. One day, Laurie's teacher and classmates send a giant card and Sami the Magic Bear. Sami makes Laurie very happy, and less lonely. One night as she goes to sleep she says that maybe she just let go. The next morning Sami is alive and tells Laurie that she needs to be strong and keep going. This gives Laurie hope. Later, Laurie is released from the hospital and her life gets back to normal. I try not be critical when it comes to reviewing children's books, but I try to review objectively. I did like this Sami story, but it seems like something is missing. I think it is a great story to help sick children when they need a lift or to be reminded to hold on and keep strong. This would be a great story for any kid, sick or not. It is very positive, and even made me a bit teary eyed.
    August 13, 2017 at 3:00 pm
  67. (Sami the Magic Bear series are fun filled adventures that teach important kid sized lessons!) ByDavid Freemanon December 15, 2016 Format: Kindle Edition I met a little furry kid advocate today and the pleasure was all mine. Well, actually ours, because it was my pleasure to share an adventure with my favorite young reader. Sami the Magic Bear is truly the heart at the center of a heart-warming children’s book series. We will certainly begin the search to connect with the rest of the current series and look forward to sharing those and future stories and each new message with my own young adventurers. In this Sami the Magic Bear adventure, the story revolves around a very real world challenge, that is believable, but quite simply too bewildering for a young person to handle all alone. Sami provides just the right combination of magic, friendship and encouragement to allow the real heroine of the story, young Laurie to work through her challenges. Young readers and their families will love Sami the Magic Bear and will look forward to following him step by step through each new adventure.
    August 13, 2017 at 3:00 pm
  68. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SDR9U0S/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0 https://www.amazon.com/SAMI-MAGIC-BEAR-Hospital-Full-Color-ebook/dp/B01GAMC0O0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
    August 13, 2017 at 3:03 pm